Getting to Intermediate
Speaker: John Ouellette
Track: Teaching and Learning with Python
Room: Video Stream 1
Time: Oct 08 (Fri): 16:30
Hello. My intended talk will be about pursuing an intermediate skill level with Python.
My audience will be beginner pythonistas. They will leave feeling that an intermediate level of python does not have to be an obscure/secretive journey and will be excited to continue their Python journey.
The talk is born out my attempt to broaden and deepening my Python skills a few years ago and wondering why there were really almost no intermediate Python books at all.
i.e I am not 'a developer' but as a SysAdmin/scripter I created a minimally viable website powered by Flask/Python/Mongo on AWS to scratch my own itches, so if I can do it, you can too!
I will cover ways to think about learning:
- What does it mean to get to intermediate -- Mindset
- Source of inspiration -- The learner will need a 'why'. Why pursue this goal?
- Academic concepts -- Concepts needed to have fluency at an intermediate level.
- Work product -- Things to think about when working with others
- My project -- Breaking down how my project evolved
- Resources -- Selected books/online resources that were not boring.